Saturday, September 29, 2018

Sculpture - another dream of Art...

Natural Clay - Hand made

Sculpture is another form of Art I have been in love with since my childhood. The roots of my love and  desire for it can be traced back to my School days in 8th grade when My School Art Teacher sculpted TajMahal on a transparent Pears bath soap. Inspired by that, later in my teen age, I tried a couple of sculptures on Ponds and Mysore Sandal bath soaps. Also, did Lord Ganesha on a bath soap.

When I visited Hampi - a sculpture city in Karnataka State, South India with my college friends in 1987, I wanted to live in there and felt like not leaving that place. I said many times to many on many instances that I should have born in the era of King Krishnadevaraya. I fell in love that much with that City of Sculpture. I did a Watercolor Painting of that Hampi as my way to pay tributes to the king Krishnadevaraya, those visionaries and sculptures who built that great sculpture city of all-times. Whenever I visit Hindu Temples anywhere in the world, the majestic architecture and sculpture work is always inspiring to me.

I even wanted to try Marble Stone sculpture. In this not-stone-age but smart-phone-age, it should be easy finding what it requires just by tapping fingers on the phone. And, above all, all it needs is a skillful-adventurous-confidence to attempt it.

I have been doing Lord Ganesha with Natural Clay for the last 9 years. This is first time I tried a true-three-dimensional sculpture with Natural Clay. I did not have any model or picture as a reference for it, just kept going.

Sculpture is truly a three dimensional form of Art. I believe, for an Artist who is a Painter, the skill for sculpture comes in naturally. In a way, it is little easier than Painting due to it's true three dimensional form. In fact, Painting is a multi-dimensional form of Art. One needs to show several dimensions on a two-dimensional surface.

I am happy with this attempt. I should try more of it in the future, of-course, with different materials.

"Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it."
- Michelangelo

Details
Title: Head of an Indian Woman
Material: Natural Clay
Tools: Hands
Dimensions: 9" x 5" x 5" (23 cm x 13cm x 13cm)
Inspiration: HeArt

2 comments: