Thursday, July 23, 2020

The book that moved my heart...

The Book that moved my heart...  


This book moved my heart. The author, William Somerset Maugham took me with him on a travel into the heart-touching life changes of an Artist, Charles Strickland, a man who abandons his secured stockbroker job & family to pursue an uncertain existence as an artist. By the end he creates and leaves a meaningful existence of his life.

Based on, and inspired by the life of the artist Paul Gauguin, this book takes the reader a century back in time through the life in London, Paris slums, and beautiful Tahiti. With a very heart touching ending, the book makes the reader to think about - meaningful existence for the life after.

Few thinkable and remarkable wordings I noted from the book:
  • A painters monument is his work.
  • A man's work reveals him.
  • Self-doubt is the artist's bitterest enemy.
  • "I have made something where there was nothing."
  • If you had your time over again, would you do what you did?
  • I raked my brain.
  • Love makes a man a little more than himself. and at the same time a little less. He ceases to be himself.
  • Great Art is always decorative.
  • Life is hard, and nature takes sometimes a terrible delight in torturing her children.
Many thanks to Vinnakota Narasimha Rao garu, for recommending this book to me while following my recent 10-day recollection-series on my initial college time art-work years. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known about this book at all, neither would have read the book, nor would have become curious about the well-known artist Paul Gauguin. Next time when I make a visit to Museum of Fine Arts Boston, I should feel Paul Gauguin's life through his original paintings in the collection over there.

Lives on the earth are interconnected, one action by someone somewhere leads to another action by someone else somewhere else.

Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment