Friday, July 14, 2023

Work with Masters...

 
"Idleness" - My work of Masters
Based on painting by "John William Godward" - an English Painter
Every master was once a student. Not every student is fortunate to learn from masters. Observing masters at work is the best way to learn from them. If that is not possible, studying their works is the next best way. I wish I was born in 19th century, and always wanted to work with some of the great Artists who lived in that century.

I started studying "Modern Art" lately. The Modern Art era started with rebellion thinking of refusing to go along with traditional teaching of Arts. Late 19th century and the beginning of 20th century saw several artists who started to radically change the basic principles of Art by creating something new, right from organizing space in a new way to doing outlines and shadows differently, even working with with no-rules or new-rules of perspective. Many initial works of modern artists of that period resembled old masters of traditional art. Later, they transformed into a new way of thinking, seeing, painting, and making viewers think about art.

My "Study of Masters" has always been like looking at a masterpiece so closely to feel their works. If I  feel like feeling it more stronger, I work with them. In other words I work with their works. This is a masterpiece that was done right around the time the "Modern Art Era" started in 1900. I am studying many masters of that era and this masterpiece took me away for few hours deeper into it.

"If working with masters is not a possibility, work with their works."
~ Giridhar Pottepalem

No comments:

Post a Comment