Sunday, February 7, 2016

Drawing like a Painting...

Portrait of Bhanupriya - Ballpoint Pen on Paper
I heard some Artists saying- don't paint like a drawing. That's true! When you are painting, don't paint like a drawing. But, what if I am drawing and I want to draw like a painting? That's an interesting thought and exactly what I questioned myself before I started drawing this.

In Painting, there is always a set of colors to choose from and different values of single color to get the composition and all the shades desired. The surface chosen to Paint also helps and plays an important role along the way. In drawing, you don't have all that luxury of choices and help. Typically, all you have is the surface and one medium like pencil, ink, charcoal etc that you choose. Of course, each medium comes with it's own challenges. All you depend on is, just your own skill.

Painting doesn't require accuracy, but drawing does.

In Art, in my opinion, there are no boundaries, and no hard and fast rules. Just go with no rules and boundaries and do you what you enjoy doing. When you enjoy and love what you do, nothing else matters much!

Happy Drawing and Happy Painting!

Here is a snapshot of work in progress:

Drawing in progress...
Here is a few seconds glimpse of my drawing while progressing (video credits: Bhuvan Pottepalem):

Youtube link to video: https://youtu.be/Sd0WzgL0xgg


Details
Title: Portrait of Bhanupriya
Inspiration: Desire to test & improve my skills
Reference: A paper cutting from my college-days (portrait of Telugu actress Bhanupriya)
Mediums: BIC round stic Grip fine Ballpoint Pen
Surface: Utrecht Smooth 2-Ply Plate Finish Acid Free Paper
Size: 11" x 14' (28 cm x 36 cm)

No comments:

Post a Comment